Skaia

Yu-Gi-Oh! Horizon [IC/Not Accepting/PG-16]

makoto.png

"So, I have no idea where we are."

To say Makoto was reassured by having an upperclassman helping out was... well, bluntly, it couldn't be much further from the truth. It wasn't like Hana was actively seeking to sabotage this shopping trip, but based on everything she'd seen of the girl so far, Makoto couldn't escape the feeling that Hana would end up doing precisely that if left to her own devices. But Makoto wouldn't let that happen! She would keep the money tightly and securely on her person, and would ensure that anything not on the list that Hana wanted to buy, she'd have to buy it herself with her own funds!

Although, there was still the issue of being lost and thus getting un-lost.

“Can’t we just go there and then worry about getting back after that? Coach Clara didn’t ask us to get anything that would spoil, did she?”

At least Peter was being helpful and finding a destination that would work. A grocery store! Makoto looked at the list again. Nothing that would spoil. Probably. "I don't think so?" Makoto responded, handing Peter the list. Best to just head right in and buy the things. And give Hana something to do. Glancing around at other stores, Makoto tried to think. Something Hana liked. Hmmm...

Come to think of it, she does talk about fish a lot.

"So, here's the plan," Makoto nodded, pointing at the grocery store. "Peter and I will take care of the official shopping stuff. Using the club's money to buy what Coach Clara said we had to get. And you..." Bringing her finger down and around, pointing it at Hana, she continued "are the fish expert. So, I can't give you the club budget, but I want you to buy up some good fish if you've got the money for them on you! If not, we can try again some other time. Sound good?"

"Whoa!" Hana called out as Peter uncovered the mystery of the missing grocery store. "Who would have thought it would be here! Good eyes, genius fish." Hana nodded approvingly and reached over to pat the boy on the head several times. "You've done good."

"Peter and I will take care of the official shopping stuff. Using the club's money to buy what Coach Clara said we had to get. And you...are the fish expert. So, I can't give you the club budget, but I want you to buy up some good fish if you've got the money for them on you! If not, we can try again some other time. Sound good?"

Hana put a finger to her lips as she gave it a couple seconds of thought. "Mm....nope!" She denied cheerfully. Raising her finger up she wiggled it at Makoto. "See, I'm the older one, and that means this is my mission! If I went and left you that would mean that you wouldn't have the power of the greatest shopper in the school with you and that would be terrible." She winked and then followed it up with, "plus it'll be more fun shopping with the two of you."

She then surged across the street, without looking both ways, to get to the grocery store that Peter pointed out. Unless they avoided it she would also reach back and grab both of them by the hands and pull them along with her and through the sliding glass door.

Into a haven of fresh food and packaged goodies!

Hana wiggled as she looked around. "Oooh, cheese crackers, those are pretty good! Oh oh, I bet Avi is the beef jerky type. Maybe we should grab some of that."

Had they not freed themselves already Hana would let go of the other two by then to grab a cart. Staring at it for a moment she pushed it ahead and grabbed a second one. Pulling it from the front as she pushed the other with her first hand. "Come, we must buy all the things! Oooh, 200 count pizza rolls that's amazing!"

All of a sudden, Peter found himself in a situation where his head was getting pat. It wasn’t something he was completely unused to, it was just something that happened, he found when you were young, short, and “precocious” (adults seemed to like using that word) like he was. That didn’t mean he wasn’t annoyed when it happened, of course. He really was. But he’d also learned to keep those sorts of feelings to himself.

Besides, there were more aggravating things to worry about, like how he was literally dragged across the street to Pegasus Market. Peter wasn’t even sure Hana checked traffic at all, and she definitely didn’t let go until they were inside the grocery proper. And even then, it was only because Hana immediately started filling her arms with snacks. “Wait, hold on,” Peter said. “I don’t- don’t you want to check what we have to get first?”

Two hundred pizza rolls? Was that, like, two hundred boxes or was that twenty boxes of ten each? Either way, it seemed a bit excessive. “Makoto, can I see that list?” He snatched it out of her hands without waiting for an answer and scanned it. “Okay, yeah, maybe one box, not two hundred.”

He looked around. Grocery stores were always a bit weird to Peter. He knew where things generally were -- meat was at the deli, frozen things were in the freezers, etcetera -- but the actual logistics always seemed to be different with each new place, and no place ever had the same things in the same places. “I guess the next thing we need to find some instant noodles? Is that in the noodles section or the Asian section? I’m never sure.”

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

"Feel free to ask me any questions about dueling, and I'll be sure to pass them onto Clara. Oh, but if you have any other questions to ask, I'll be sure to answer those to the best of my ability too! Let's all have a wonderful day of practice!"

"Practice" was quite the loose word used here. A good chunk of the team was currently off doing their own thing with a shopping escapade, while David remained with Terry and the Duel Captains. As for asking questions to Ms. Breiner, while this would end up being written down by her to possibly give to Ms. Clara later, he figured it was sort of a waste of time to do so. The next club meeting, he could easily ask any questions that would come to mind...

...that's if he could think of anything specific to ask. Truth of the matter was, he really didn't have any questions truly to ask. Not to the coach, anyway...no, right now he needed a bit of...expert advice from the Captains. Both Dueled against him, both knew his play style...they both had the specifics down on him...and both took pleasure in knocking him and his belief of him being quite the credible Duelist tremendously down a few pegs. At this point, they were probably the only ones to give a bit of insight into his deck building.

With his mind made up, David stood up and approached Charlie first. "Excuse me, but I wanted to ask you and possibly of Avi something, Charlie." he spoke, pulling his deck box from his bag. "Would you both take a look at my Time Thieves? I...want to be absolutely positive my deck is running at it's full capacity. Since you and he both Dueled me and made it obvious I still have a ways to go...I figure it's only right that you two take the look at it."

Terry was only a tad bit surprised when the substitute teacher came over, having apparently heard her question to both of the captains, and introduced herself. “U-Um…” Terry paused, scratching the side of her face as she stared at the substitute teacher, watching her fumble around names. “On a good day, it’d be a lot harder to get everyone mixed up, but…” Terry trailed off, laughing a tiny bit, her smile fading. “I’m… Actually Terry, and you sent Makoto off with the others… Um... Sorry if I seem, a bit low energy today...” She trailed off, her voice tapering off as she glanced away from the new-person she had potentially made a fool of herself in front of.

It wasn’t until David had walked by and asked Charlie and Avi something, that Terry really perked up again; a bit of a shine coming to her face. “...Oh, that makes a lot of sense, actually,” she paused, turning on her heels to face the captains. “We’ve done a lot of dueling, but really, we’ve not gone over the actual… Structure of any of our decks,” she paused, looking around in her clothing pockets for her deck. “We could all probably benefit from sharing notes, information, anything. I mean, most final bosses would be way more powerful if they just swapped things around so they had their ‘crippling weakness’ to light covered,” She smiled, nodding. “So if we compare the structures of our decks and find where we’re lacking so we can fix it… That could be a huge help.”

"Probably. That's the coaches problem though, not mine. Shoulda shown up." He noticed one of the new recruits approaching them. David, if he remembered right. "And no. Only two-hundred-eighty-eighty."

Avi hooked his thumbs into his belt loops, staring down at the underclassmen with a blank face. “Really?” he finally said. “You’re not even asking the right question. I’m not gonna fix your deck for you. Either of you. What would be the point of that?” From the dismissiveness of his tone of voice, an eavesdropper might have thought the two had asked him if the sky was bright purple. 

The Toon duelist glanced at the ceiling. How was he supposed to explain this? He hated doing this sort of thing. He wasn’t good at it. “Look. David, right? Pull a card out of your deck. Don’t look, just grab one, and then tell me what the point of running it over something else is.” That was the real secret behind a good deck. Deck-building was all about knowing the pros and cons of what you were running; a card could be amazing in one specific situation, but a good duelist knew when the pay off wasn't wortth the dead draw.

Edited by Cheshire Toon

"Probably. That's the coaches problem though, not mine. Shoulda shown up." He noticed one of the new recruits approaching them. David, if he remembered right. "And no. Only two-hundred-eighty-eighty."

"Oh yeah, two-hundred-eighty-eighty, so you've done 28080?" Charlie gave a cheeky grin, before their attention was pulled away to David.

"Excuse me, but I wanted to ask you and possibly of Avi something, Charlie." The boy spoke, pulling his deck box from his bag. "Would you both take a look at my Time Thieves? I...want to be absolutely positive my deck is running at it's full capacity. Since you and he both Dueled me and made it obvious I still have a ways to go...I figure it's only right that you two take the look at it."

Avi responded before they had a chance, but Charlie wasn't entirely disagreeing with Avi. He was too harsh, but not entirely in the wrong. Taking a deep breath, the teen added their two cents.

"We can't really... do that much for you. After all, I don't really use Xyz. I know how they work, of course, but not their decks. I only own my deck and a few older cards that used to be in it, and I've never had much chance to play others... But you should take Avi's advice. Look over your deck and think about what belongs and what doesn't. What cards seem to perform well in testing? Which seem situational? Things like that."

“So if we compare the structures of our decks and find where we’re lacking so we can fix it… That could be a huge help.”

Charlie turned slightly to look at Terry, cocking a brow and smirking. Seemed like little miss evil overlord wasn't here for the day, instead a cute, eager girl was. Where oh where did the evil overlord go?

"It's possible... but I'd have to say Avi would probably know more about your deck than I would... Well, maybe I do have an idea beyond Avi's advice," They muttered, a finger to their lips as they looked up, "Why don't you try seperating your decks into two piles. One full of cards related to your deck's core, like your Time Thieves or Generaiders, and then the cards that aren't related. Stuff like Monster Reborn or Forbidden Lance, y'know? The core cards probably require less focus than the others, though of course both are important. Start with the generic pile, then go onto the core. And if I have one more piece of advice, find a central goal for your deck. After all..." Charlie grinned, flashing a monster that looked like a scythe, ever so briefly, "My goal is to just take your head, and my babies are good at that~ Though, of course, there's lots of card generation as well, to make sure I can fuel my plays, which is more secondary. Do your decks aim to control? Burst? Just be a lot of good cards? Categorization is important, too..."

Charlie rattled on and on, despite saying they had no other ideas, talking about things like deck classifications, the place of trap cards, and more, completely losing track of themselves as they rambled.

Mx2v292.png

iU8EggM.png

“Really? You’re not even asking the right question. I’m not gonna fix your deck for you. Either of you. What would be the point of that?”

David frowned a bit, unsure why Avi ever thought that he was asking the Captains to fix his deck. On the contrary, all he asked was for advice, assistance...while Terry was the one asking for straight up help to fix it. However, at least Charlie took a much different approach with their response.

"We can't really... do that much for you. After all, I don't really use Xyz. I know how they work, of course, but not their decks. I only own my deck and a few older cards that used to be in it, and I've never had much chance to play others... But you should take Avi's advice. Look over your deck and think about what belongs and what doesn't. What cards seem to perform well in testing? Which seem situational? Things like that."

"...I see." he nodded, before looking over at Avi and mulling over the thing he said.

“Look. David, right? Pull a card out of your deck. Don’t look, just grab one, and then tell me what the point of running it over something else is.”

After a few moments, the young man entertained this idea, removing his deck from the deck box, shuffling it and immediately placing it on a table. "A single card then? Very well." David immediately flipped over the first card, revealing it to be... "Time Thief Regulator." Placing the card on the table, the young man adjusted his glasses slightly. "In the grand scheme of Time Thieves, Regulator over and of the other generic Level 4s happens to be necessary. An example of this would be the following...utilizing Regulator in a combination Winder, this would be the set up for a semi-decent field."

"Normal Summon Regulator, tribute for the effect and in the process Special Summon Bezel Ship and Chronorecorder. After that, Overlay and bring forth Redoer. Detach Chronorecorder, Special Summon Winder or use the searching function for a Time Thief card, such as Retrograde." David paused for a moment, catching his breath. "Use Redoer's skill to banish itself, have Chronorecorder return at this point with it's skill activate and prepare to Overlay for Perpetua. After that, the turn will end up having Perpetua and Redoer out on the field. All of this by use of Time Thief Regulator." David figured that's what Avi was wanting to hear, so with that, he simply remained quiet as Charlie kept going.

"Why don't you try separating your decks into two piles. One full of cards related to your deck's core, like your Time Thieves or Generaiders, and then the cards that aren't related. Stuff like Monster Reborn or Forbidden Lance, y'know? The core cards probably require less focus than the others, though of course both are important. Start with the generic pile, then go onto the core. And if I have one more piece of advice, find a central goal for your deck. After all...My goal is to just take your head, and my babies are good at that~ Though, of course, there's lots of card generation as well, to make sure I can fuel my plays, which is more secondary. Do your decks aim to control? Burst? Just be a lot of good cards? Categorization is important, too..."

This seemed like something that could work. Without much of another word or thought, David began to separate his deck...even his Extra Deck. From the looks of it, a combined total of 20 Time Thief related Main Deck cards he ran in his deck, with a total of 6 in the Extra Deck. This left 24 cards in his Main Deck that were there to help work the deck out, given it's general Rank 4 style engine. In the Extra Deck, that left 9 cards. Now on the other hand...the goal of Time Thieves?

"Hmmm, the goal for my Time Thieves is simple. Create an unorthodox disruption for my opponent, a chance to commit 'thievery' and 'steal' my opponent's resources from their deck." David nodded, before noticing something. "...wait...hmmm, that actually wouldn't be a bad idea. An Xyz Reborn wouldn't hurt to have...especially if I lose either Perpetua or Redoer in the process."

Edited by Chaos Sonic

makoto.png

"Mm....nope! See, I'm the older one, and that means this is my mission! If I went and left you that would mean that you wouldn't have the power of the greatest shopper in the school with you and that would be terrible. Plus it'll be more fun shopping with the two of you."

Already, the shopping trip had descended into chaos. With Hana wanting way too many pizza rolls and Peter denying her. Pizza was good. What were pizza rolls like? Makoto was curious. That would have to come some other time though. For now, there was shopping to be done, and then after that, they had to find their way back home. This was going to be quite the task that the students had been assigned with. And most importantly, they had to not go over budget!

“I guess the next thing we need to find some instant noodles? Is that in the noodles section or the Asian section? I’m never sure.”

"The Asian section!" Makoto confidently answered, having no idea if she was actually right or not. "And that's where we'll find rice too! I may not look like it, but I'll have you two know I'm quite the expert at cooking rice! Kondo farm specialty and all!" Having boasted about her very specific culinary skill, Makoto started along the aisles, looking for the Asian section so she could find just the right rice. It had to be priced fairly. And the raising and harvesting was important. She had to admit, Makoto wasn't really expecting to be the one buying the rice.

"I could tell you all about growing the stuff, too!" she added.

As they made their way through the store, Peter and Hana would be able to notice that Makoto was indeed getting over excited to buy things as rice was not actually on their shopping list. That still did not prevent them from buying it, though, as there was still rice being provided. As the group began to look for the Asian Food section, a girl who didn't look to be any older than Makoto seemed to have her head in the clouds passed by them. Singing in a quiet voice, the girl just repeated, "ramen, ramen, ramen," as she made her way through the store. Were they to follow her or not, the Asian food section was not all that hard to find but unsurprisingly she was also there. 

With a basket in hand, seeming to already have some snacks, drinks and pastries loaded into it, the girl seemed to carefully look at each of the packages. After a bit of examining, the girl eventually placed seven different types of cup noodles in her basket before nodding to herself. If no one stopped her, the girl would eventually simply  make her way out of the aisle and go about her business. 

OOC

Spoiler

Just because she's there, you don't have to speak with the girl at all. Though, be sure to wait for my next post when you guys are ready to leave the store. 

Terry wasn’t expecting to be shot down quite so quickly, or quite so viciously by the scary-looking jock she had come to recognize as a captain, but she couldn’t say she was surprised either. Not only that, in his rejection against both her and David, he had possibly, somehow misunderstood the purpose? Or, he was simply being rude about it; she couldn’t quite tell. “I… Didn’t want for you to ‘fix my deck for me’, it’s just that, when you’ve stared at something for hours on end, you’re less likely to spot things that are out of place…” She murmured, doing her best to defend herself as she glanced away from the co-captain…

And towards the other captain, who seemed to be looking at her with a smirk. She wanted to get angry, or annoyed with them for ‘making light of’ or ‘looking down on’ a dark overlord, but… For whatever reason, she didn’t have the energy today. Had she skipped breakfast? Or was she just in a slump…? Either way, she’d probably be over it… Eventually. Probably. “That’s not bad advice,” Terry eventually replied, kneeling down to follow the same advice David had begun putting into practice.

Spreading her deck out, Terry slowly divided them into a few piles, along with dividing those stacks of cards into sub-stacks, for good measure. By the time she had done, she had four different piles. “Generaiders, lords of Dominion,” she trailed off, putting her monsters into the first pile. Given the reverence in her voice, an onlooker could have mistook what she was doing for some sort of ritual; the actual content of her words doing little to disprove that notion. “The boons granted to them that support them,” she continued, placing the archetype-specific spells and traps into their own category. “The various traps that first aid, then punish their foes,” this time, Terry found herself placing all sorts of cards into the pile; mostly cards that balanced draw-power, allowing her to keep a steady flow of cards into not only her hand, but her opponents. “...And the higher powers they call upon.” She finished, placing the extra-deck, which was almost entirely comprised of non-archetype specific cards, but in the end helped cover their weaknesses, such as giving her card-destruction.

“Um… As for a goal, or, something like that,” Terry seemed to snap back to reality, shaking her head as she continued speaking; walking herself through her deck's goal and strategy. “I want to control the board by making use of a combination of my Generaider monster effects and how they interact with my field-spell. This is done by using cards that allow me to make my opponent draw, which allows me to activate my monster effects and… Ultimately, I can use this to keep my opponent from being able to deal lethal, until I can summon an XYZ monster with enough attack to burst them down… In a perfect situation.” She paused, bringing a hand to her chin. "Though... I suppose this opens me up to the issue of being unable to counter certain strategies that use hyper-aggressive decks, as if my deck is pushed too far, it... Crumbles. So I guess I could probably use a bit more in the way of protection... Such as..." She trailed off, murmuring to herself as she tried to think through what protection-cards could be used without compromising on her deck's balance.

“I don’t- don’t you want to check what we have to get first?”

"Oh, Peter Peter Peter, that's now how you shop. You gotta go with your gut...meaning instinct AND stomach!"

Having said that it seemed that he was rather intent on using the list. She didn't want to ruin his plan entirely so she gave a shrug. "I suppose we'll just have to come back for real shopping later."

She held herself back as they passed by. Though she did stare at the sign advertising a whole ham she saw across the way as they moved on towards...where were they going? She poked Makoto and asked "Where we going?" When she got the answer she gave a firm nod. "Noodles. Good choice. One cup is good for a snack before a meal."

Even so she wasn't sure where said section was supposed to be. But she soon heard a small voice repeating "ramen" like some kind of spell and honed in on her. Crouching a bit she gestured to her companions and pointed at her. In an exaggerated whisper she said "Follow that cutie." And proceeded to faux-sneak her way in the same direction as the girl.

Once in the aisle Hana broke from her "stealth-mode" and moved right up next to the girl. Smirking at her she said "I see you're an expert. Oh, sage of noodles, would you grace us with your recommendation?"

She thought a second then gestured at the other two. "We're getting food for our club! It's, well, it's not big. But it's bigger than us. And we don't know what they like...Hm, should we get all of it?" She said the last bit over her shoulder.

"Eh?" The girl looked towards Hana, surprised to see the girl next to her. The girl looked around, to see anyone next to her, and then pointed to herself in confusion, as if asking if she was this "sage." When confirmed, the girl murmured a, "hmmm..." Looking at her cups, she held up one and said, "I like chicken the most. It's what I end the week on."

"Ooh the simple type. I understand I understand." Hana clapped the girl on her shoulder and gave her a thumbs up "Thank you oh great sage. Chicken it is!"

"Chicken!" The girl repeated what Hana said, seeming energized by the girl's agreement. "Oh." Seeming to notice something, the girl pointed to one of the ramen on the shelves. "Be careful. You don't want to get spicy without realizing it's spicy."

Hana gasped "Thank you for your warning!" She looked at the ramen the girl had pointed to and stared for a moment. "It's challenging me..."

"You can do it club lady," the girl encouraged.

"You're right, I CAN do it!" She then proceeded to scoop up an armful of the spicy chicken ramen.

Avi crossed his arms and leaned back against the wall. He really had no idea why he was a captain for the team; he was arguably one of the best duelists, but a leader wasn’t based on skill, but the ability to… well, lead things. He didn’t inspire people and he was terrible at giving advice. Even just looking at the younger students seemed to cause them to flinch away from him.

It didn’t matter though. Charlie was handling it. They were infinitely better at this sort of thing; an actual leader for the students to look up to. “Yeah. Just do what they say,” he grunted, gesturing to Charlie with a nod. “You’ll learn fast enough.”

Peter thought Hana’s “go with your gut” pun was clever, but then she had to go and explain it so all the reaction she got from him was a brief (though still relatively intense) exhale through the nose and maybe an “Okay.” He’d always heard that you weren’t supposed to shop with your stomach. If you were hungry when you were shopping, you’d be more likely to buy more than you expected. Hana’s personal budget could have been as bottomless as her appetite, but that didn’t mean he was about to just take her advice on principle.

He did have to follow her, though, partly because Hana had proclaimed herself the leader of the group and (besides having to nix the two-hundred pizza rolls) Peter didn’t see a reason to break rank, but mostly because she seemed to know where she was going for once. She was following someone else, sure, but that was better than his complete lack of ideas. Makoto had suggested looking for the rice, but wouldn’t these both take them to the same place if she was correct?

And she had been correct! The Asian section was the way to go to find instant noodles. The only thing left was to decide on kinds. Hana had struck up a conversation with the girl she had been following, and chicken seemed to be the way to go there, but then Hana did her Hana thing and grabbed not only the chicken noodles but the spiciest chicken noodles they had. And she grabbed a bunch of them.

“Hey, uh, maybe not?” Peter stepped in. “I’m sure you can handle it, Hana, but Coach Clara is probably going to want us to share these, and we don’t know if everyone can.” Like himself, for example. Even a drop of Sriracha sent him rushing to the sink, the water fountain, whatever he could find. “Why don’t we get a bunch of flavors so people can choose?

“Also, hi.” He gave a slight wave to the girl Hana had been talking to, not wanting to completely exclude her from the conversation.

makoto.png

Noodles! A budget's best friend. Incredibly cheap, fairly filling, and with plenty of flavors to choose from. And while Peter and Hana were conversing with that girl over there, and browsing the noodle selection, Makoto was up to something else. She was checking out the aisle's rice selection. Those big commercial farms sure did know how to put out a ton of this stuff, didn't they? Not this one, not that one... oh no, Makoto recognized the name on this bag and knew that they weren't to be trusted. She definitely couldn't let the club eat anything coming from that company! Considering the price, and the quality, and the quantity, the best rice to get was probably...

This one! Just the one bag. They were on a budget, after all. Quite content with her choice, Makoto returned to the rest of the group to hear Peter talking Hana out of another shopping decision, but what it was she was unsure of.

“Why don’t we get a bunch of flavors so people can choose?"

Noodle flavors? "I like the beef flavor," Makoto commented. "Getting all the flavors so that the club has options sounds smart. Good thinking, Pete!" There was also the point of that girl she'd never seen before. "So... who's your new friend??"

The girl watched as Hana went to take the spicy ramen, only looking to see the others as they got closer. As Peter spoke, the young girl seemed to think about something as if she had latched onto something he had said. As she tried to get to the bottom of what was bothering her, her train of thought was interrupted as the boy directly greeted her. Her expression went back to its neutral state, as the girl just waved saying, "hi." She then nodded at his sentiment of getting multiple different flavors, looking down to her own basket.

As Makoto came over and said her part, the girl walked a bit further down the aisle. Walking back, the girl had a cup of beef noodles in her hand, handing it over to Makoto saying, "beef is good too." The girl seemed to be curious about something as Makoto spoke again, but as she seemed to go ask for her name her train of thought was interrupted yet again. Looking to the others, then pointing back to herself as she had when Hana approached her, the girl seemed to figure out Makoto was talking about her. "I'm Leila." She looked towards Hana before asking, "are we friends?" Her tone seemed to only really be curious. After that was taken care of, she thought about it for a moment longer before looking at Makoto and Peter again. "Are you guys part of a club?" 

Charlie managed to snap out of their ramble just enough to nod along as the two younger students began to figure out what they meant. Of course, Charlie had more than enough to keep on talking, but it seemed they got the idea for now.

“Yeah. Just do what they say,” Avi grunted, gesturing to Charlie with a nod. “You’ll learn fast enough.”

"Ehhh?" Charlie cocked a brow and tilted their head, "Surely you have some advice for them, too. After all, you play far more than I do, Mr. 300 wins. I may have the better grasp on theory, but Avi here has more of a grasp on actual gameplay, so why don't you ask him for help? Or... we could do a showcase? Show these newbies what their captains are capable of? If you're up to it, of course~"

“I’m sure you can handle it, Hana, but Coach Clara is probably going to want us to share these, and we don’t know if everyone can.”

Hana looked down at the armful of spicy chicken ramen in her grasp. She looked from them, to Chris, and they could practically hear gears turning in her head as she thought about what he had said. "Pshaw." She said with a laugh. "Then these ones will be for me. The rest will be everyone else's! Why do you think I got two carts?" She dumped her armload into the cart and began tossing more flavors into the cart. Hearing Makoto say beef she made sure to grab several of those and include them in the growing pile.

She slowed her ravaging of the grocery store shelf only when the Ramen Guru spoke up again and asked her something directly.

"I'm Leila. Are we friends?"

Straightening up Hana flung an arm around the girl and pulled Leila tight against herself. "Of course we are! You and me are the best of buddies, aren't we?"

Letting out a surprised, “gah,” as she was pulled in. Leila took a moment to respond to Hana’s question. “Hmm, I think I already have a best buddy. But I can be regular friends with you club lady.”

"Why can't you have two best buddies?" Hana asked, genuinely confused. Then she half shrugged, still holding onto the girl, and continued with "If regular friend you want then regular friend you'll get! The best regular friend around!"

“Wooo regular friends.” In spite of the low energy of her tone she seemed genuinely happy about it.

"Woo!" Hana responded with more than enough energy for the both of them. She then looked to her cart and then the other two. "I dunno if that's enough..."

Her name was Leila. Okay, that was a useful bit of information to get out of just a “hi” and whatever Hana was doing. Though Leila also asked if they were part of a club and Peter was pretty sure that had been explained at some point. But maybe she had missed it like Peter did with most of Hana’s ramblings. Before he could answer though, he was distracted by Hana pulling more handfuls of noodles off the shelf. “Why do you think I got two carts?” Hana said, followed by “I dunno if that’s enough…”

“Well, one for each person and then a couple extra in our cart just in case, right? You can get whatever you want as long as you don’t expect Coach Clara to pay for it.” Telling Hana to cut loose in essence was probably asking for trouble but it seemed like she was already doing that without their help, so it wasn’t like it was going to hurt. Or hurt too much, anyway.

Meanwhile, there was still Leila’s question that needed answering. “Yeah, we’re, uh, we’re part of Horizon Academy’s dueling club. I’m Peter, that’s Makoto, and she’s Hana. Where do you go, Leila?”

makoto.png

"I'm Leila. Are we friends? Are you guys part of a club?" 

“Yeah, we’re, uh, we’re part of Horizon Academy’s dueling club. I’m Peter, that’s Makoto, and she’s Hana. Where do you go, Leila?”

Right, the club! That thing that they were supposed to be here shopping for! What else was on that list anyway? Not the amount of noodles that Hana seemed to want, at the very least. Makoto really couldn't help but wonder about that girl. Not that there was much point or reason to it. If there was something important about Hana worth knowing, surely it would come up on its own someday. But this Leila girl? Not so much. If she was a Horizon student, there was a pretty good chance Makoto would have bumped into her by now, right? All that running around doing odd jobs for whatever club spotted her and needed the help and all.

"Are you part of a club too?" Makoto added to Peter's question.

As Peter went to answer her question, the girl looked towards the three of them. "Peter. Makoto. Hana." The girl nodded as if to confirm to herself that she got it. The girl looked at the rapidly filling cart of food,  before looking back to Peter. "Horizon?" The girl seemed to think on the name for a moment but seemed confused more than anything else. "I go to Ocean's Coast Academy." To those that were particularly familiar with other schools they would know that Ocean's Coast was still in the city of Azure. 

Looking to Makoto, she nodded, saying, "yeah. I'm in the duel club." As the girl said that, she seemed to come to a sudden realization. "What time is it?" The girl voiced her question aloud, and as she did pulled out her phone to check herself. Freezing as she saw the time and a flood of text messages, the girl opened her mouth in shock and after a few seconds of silence said, "I'm late." Putting her phone in her pocket, the girl seemed to be in a panic as she started to look ready to run. After taking a few steps though, the girl then realized something again. Turning to face the others, tears starting to form in her eyes, Leila meekly asked, "w-where am I?" For while Ocean's Coast was still in Azure, it was a few hours by foot from Horizon. 

Terry had zoned out as she went through her deck, murmuring to herself as she went over deck theory for a moment or two. “Of course, if I were to replace that, that would leave me without near as much searching potential, thus making it more difficult to thin out my deck… Then again, with all the draw-power I have, that wouldn’t be as much of a problem, but could lead to more dead hands…” She trailed off, rubbing at her chin as she flipped through her cards; swapping between the different piles in a rhythm. “Even then, if…”

By the time she had zoned back in, Charlie was discussing something with Avi. Something that… Got the attention of the little final boss. “Huh? Oh, that could be awesome!” Terry grinned, glancing between the two captains. “Two final-boss level entities, going head-to-head to show their underlings their power…! I can’t imagine anything that would be more exciting!” She grinned, practically bouncing in her seat. “You two should totally duel each other! We could see terrifying toons who beckon those within their sight to tune out from the tubular television teaming with terror,” she paused, moving from Avi to Charlie. “Go directly against the frighteningly fluffy fabric-bound fables of famine, mass produced within a fabulous factory!”

“Well, one for each person and then a couple extra in our cart just in case, right? You can get whatever you want as long as you don’t expect Coach Clara to pay for it.”

Hana gave the boy a big thumbs up and said "I didn't bring my card!" She knew they were there for club stuff and they had a budget so she had left her money and cards, and ID, in her wallet. Which was currently sitting on a chair back at the club.

The name that the new girl mentioned didn't really ring a bell to Hana. Of course she hadn't even realized there were any other school in the area...wait didn't the duel team go against other schools sometime? Hana grew silent as she stared at a spot in the floor while her brain tried to process this. In the end she couldn't for the life of her remember ever doing any dueling in any competition.

As if rebooting her head snapped back up as new friend said something about being late. She also seemed incredibly distraught.

"w-where am I?"

Hana approached the teary-eyed girl and placed a hand on each of her shoulders. Smiling, she looked into her eyes, and gave a firm nod. "You're in a grocery store."

The girl blankly looked at Hana, saying nothing for several seconds before finally saying, "I know."

Hana tilted her head to the side "Well then what're ya asking for, silly?"

The girl again, pondered for a moment before nodding saying, "you're right." Seeming to calm down for a moment, she froze up again as the tears reformed asking, "where's this grocery store?"

"Oh, that?" Hana looked up at the ceiling for a few seconds as she tried to remember the answer to that question. She finally looked back and announced "I have no idea! But we can find out together! I know my school is close so that might help...maybe there's a map!"

“Really? Okay then.” Leila nodded. Looking at her basket she said, “oh. I still need to buy these.”

"Hm, yes, stealing is bad." She looked at her underclassman and raised a finger. "That's my lesson for today, remember it." Then she looked at their own carts. "Oh, we need to finish shopping." Then she looked at her new friend. "But noodle guru needs me." She looked back to the cart "But shopping. What a pickle I'm in....oooh pickles." Her eyes wandered around to look for where the pickles might be kept.

Hana and Leila were clearly made for each other, Peter thought. It was either that or try to comprehend how Hana could be so happy about leaving her wallet behind at school even as she stacked her cart full of foodstuffs. He signed. He was going to have to cover some of the costs for this, wasn’t he? Thankfully, the conversation went elsewhere before he thought about that too hard.

Leila was from Ocean’s Coast? It was a school Peter had heard of in passing, mostly whenever he overheard his parents talking about his future. And she was in their duel club? Peter wondered how good the team really was if his parents had decided to send him to Horizon instead. Not that he had the means nor the will to test that right now. But wait, wasn’t Ocean’s Coast…

“Where am I?”

Oh no.

Peter’s phone was immediately in his hands, as he flipped through apps and options (making sure to turn his phone’s location on) until he found what he needed. “To…” Peter mumbled to himself. “From… my location…” In the background, Hana was telling him how bad stealing was, which, sure, that was true, but he was more interested in watching the little bar at the bottom of the screen get all the way to the right.

Once it did, he held his phone up, presenting the map and the route on the screen to Leila -- perhaps being a little too upfront about it, not that he cared -- and said, “Did you walk all the way here from Ocean’s Coast?”

makoto.png

Ocean's Coast? What was that? Some other school? Makoto peeked over Peter's shoulder as he did something on his phone, then when he turned it around to show it to Leila, she went around to get a look at what turned out to be a map. Well, that would also make the getting back to Horizon a lot easier, wouldn't it? But looking at it, geography expert though she may not have been, Makoto did notice one thing. It seemed to be a lot further from here than her own school was.

“Did you walk all the way here from Ocean’s Coast?”

"That's amazing!" Makoto exclaimed. To have walked all that distance and not even realize it! She was a pretty high-stamina girl herself, but Makoto would have probably gotten worn out some by walking that sort of distance, let alone having to go back with groceries in tow! This Leila girl would be a promising little farmer if she decided to take that path in life. Which was, given she was in a school's duel club, highly unlikely. "And you're not tired at all after walking all this way?"