Mr. Hyde

My Hero Academia: Year One [IC/NA/PG-16]

She had entered the room with total confidence. But after some silence she started to find it a bit eerie. She wondered what was taking so long. Waiting around didn't suit her so she began to pace the length of the room. Back and forth. Back and forth. Waiting. Waiting.

Finally something happened. A large, metallic, cube rose up from the middle of the room. Pausing mid-strike, Valerie turned towards it. There didn't seem anything special about it besides its size. The goal seemed to be rather obvious, even without instruction.

Shortly after she got confirmation as her teacher's voice rang out. Informing her that she had a simple, albeit ridiculous, goal.

Melt the cube down to get to what was in the middle.

Of course she knew how to accomplish this. The how was rather easy. Getting it done would be the difficult part.

But Valerie wasn't one to back down from a challenge.

There was no way she'd be able to melt it with the heat she was currently pumping out, which meant...She had to run.

So run she did. Sprinting as fast as she could around the room. Rolling around corners, using every muscle she could, building the heat up more and more. The heat was increasing, albeit slowly, and, with a shout, Valerie picked up the pace. Going so fast that she occasionally ran into the wall. Only to bounce off and continuing.

Until finally she reached ignition.

The flames started out along her arms but, as she settled into a position in front of one of the cube's sides, she felt the flames cover her arms and shoulders. Launching the flames forward it struck the wide area of the cube dead on. Nothing happened. Of course nothing happened. It took more than that to melt steel.

So she kept it up. Pumped more fire on the object. Without moving around it was hard to increase the temperature but if she kept going surely the object would heat up and begin to melt.

She let out a shout and the flames enveloped the cube. She couldn't even see it anymore, the entire side being bathed as it was in fire. She had no idea what progress she was making but she couldn't stop. She just would have to keep going.

The constant release of heat was slowly getting to her. She knew that eventually she would run out of body heat. But that didn't matter. As long as she melted the cube then it didn't matter how far she pushed. They wanted to see her limits so she was going to show them.

Her limit was as far as it took to succeed. "I'm not going to lose to a stupid hunk of metal!" She cried out, stepping closer towards the cube, the flames surrounded the entire cube now.

Her body was getting even colder. She could feel her limbs growing numb as the heat left her entirely. Her heart pounded in her chest, trying to warm her up, but she didn't think the cube was melted yet. She couldn't stop yet. If she stopped she wouldn't be able to get it started again. And she wasn't about to fail here!

ksARFRH.png

Darkness. Even if she wanted to, Hibiki couldn't see a thing in here. Then Ms. Hitotsume's voice rang in over the speakers, telling Hibiki what to do. The objective was simple. In this room there was a key. All she had to do was obtain it. Easy enough. Hibiki started forward... only to immediately walk into a wall. That wasn't there before the lights went out. The bat girl opened her mouth, letting out a high-pitched noise to get a feel for her surroundings. Wall, wall, door behind her... passage over that way. Ms. Hitotsume spoke again, teasing her about "accidentally" forgetting to mention this room was a maze. This was going to be a pain.

And so, guided by her voice and the reflection of the sounds inside, Hibiki continued through the maze, taking careful note of what turns were where so she didn't get lost. Then, her ears picked up something. A sound from somewhere above her, over in that direction, hanging from the ceiling. She got a bit louder, to try and pinpoint the details. Small, round on one end then straight... this was that key she was looking for! And it was totally out of her reach! She couldn't pick up on any staircases or something either.

Hibiki could already tell where this was going. The walls were short enough that she could climb up onto them, and thick enough that she could stand on them. Or so she thought. As soon as her feet were on the maze wall, it sunk into the floor beneath her, landing the bat girl on her rear and back at the height she was apparently supposed to take flight from. Well, this was a predicament.

mVvsZap.png?1

Walking into her testing room, it didn't seem to be all that noteworthy, In the room was her and a giant wall made of some kind of glass with a hole in the center. Through the wall, she could see two test dummies that were close to each other, though there didn't seem to be anything else of note beyond it. Walking over to the hole in the wall, Yuuka traced her fingers over the whole in the wall and inspected it in more detail. It was clear to her that this wall was incredibly thick, and as such the hole was actually quite large. Putting a finger to her chin the girl said, "how interesting." 

"Isn't it?  You lucked out with your exam, missy." Yuuka heard the voice of her teacher coming from seemingly nowhere, echoing in the small room. 

"Oh? Is that so?" Pulling her hand out and looking to the ceiling, she'll smile saying, "then I thank you for taking it easy on me." Yuuka was well aware of the person that her teacher was, though. And the idea that she would ever 'take it easy' on one of her students was not one that Yuuka believed existed. More curiously, the girl asked, "though, just to confirm, what exactly is my exam?"

"It's just a theory of mine...but I believe you're hampering your own quirk by just throwing balls around.  I think you have more control over it than that."  With a pause, Yuuka could hear some tapping on the microphone.  "On the other side of that hole is a room with two dummies in it.  You'll have to incapacitate one on the right without making the other pass out.  Simple, right?"

Yuuka furrowed her brow, tapping her finger against her chin more pensively. "In theory yes, and I appreciate your confidence in me, though I'm not quite sure about it." Looking at the test, the girl was almost certain she knew where this simple exam was going. And she wasn't entirely sure what it was that her teacher had expected from her, or what she had been holding herself back with. All the same, Yuuka was still a student and this was still a test. "But well, I will do my best, Sensei."

"Bingo!  That's what I'm expecting from you all!  Good luck, Yuuka!"

Walking back from the hole, the girl figured it was best to try the most simple solution first before thinking outside the box. And thus, the girl coalsced an orb of poison in her hand, and, taking a pitcher's stance the girl wound her arm back and tossed it towards the hole. Yuuka, despite not being most athletic person, had considerable aim when it came to pitching. After all, she had always wanted to make sure that haphazard aim wouldn't be the thing that ended up causing her to harm others. And so, with a pitch, the girl tossed the globe of poison into the hole. Flying true, it landed right outside the hole, exploding at once and causing the poison cloud to form around both dummies. 

Seeing that she had indeed, managed to poison both of them at once, the girl girl scratched the back of her head. "Of course it wouldn't be that easy." So, with her finger to her chin, Yuuka started to ponder on just what the answer to this puzzle was.

Edited by Skaia

ohSLUWk.png

Herc was confused about his room. There didn't seem to be much here, only one giant cube in the center of the room. What was that all about? He looked around at the walls, at the ceiling, and even on the floor for some kind of clue of what he was supposed to do. Obviously it had to do something with the block, but was he supposed to carry it somewhere, or even throw it? Finally, he sighed and called out for his teacher.

"So... what's with the block? Is it a 'climb to the top' sort of thing or 'move it somewhere else'?"

"Oh Herc! It wouldn't be as simple as that!" The voice was filled with static, but the tone was all too familiar. "No no no!  I want to see you suff- ...I want to see you struggle for once!  After seeing how strong you were during the field trip, I wanted to see how strong you were." She laughed. "That thing is made up of the most dense material none to man, used for hero limiter gear. Heronium!" She paused. "I think that's what the trademark is... anyway, lift it over your head for one hour straight, and you pass!"

"Heronium, huh? That's... quite a name," He rubbed the back of his head as he looked at the block. "A whole hour, huh? Well, could be worse...," He walked over to the block, poking it before he reached down, grunting as he slowly began to lift it. "Y-yeah, okay, this is dense...," He muttered as he began to lift it higher, struggling a little before he finally got it over his head.

"Oh!" Ms. Hitotsume seemed shocked. "That seemed pretty easy for you!  I made sure it was extra heavy."

"N-no, trust me, this i-is the hardest thing I've ever had picked up...," He muttered as he spread his stance, trying to get as comfortable as he could. The moment he did however, something smacked him across the face, hard. He didn't know exactly what it was, but it felt like... newspaper? It didn't really hurt, but the suddeness of it caught him off guard, and he dropped his load.

"Heehee!  You didn't think I'd make it that easy did you!?  Good luck my little Hercules!" The teacher cackled, obviously having the time of her life. Herc shook his head and began to lift the block again, doing his best to endure the sudden assault of newspaper, fly swatters, and puffs of... bug spray? God, they really weren't caring about his health, were they?

"Sadistic antihero teacher...," Herc muttered under his breath as he did his best to endure.

whIkgqw.png

Misu watched as the circles of fire danced around her.  She could feel her eyebrow twitch with frustration.  The jacket she used as part of her 'Hero Costume' was thrown into the corner of the room.  To avoid getting too hot, she'd taken it off.  Taking the first circle of fire would be easy for her, but the more she'd blow out, the harder it would be to extinguish the outer rings.  She took a breath.  The heat had long since started making her sweat, but she wasn't losing as much water thanks to her quirk.  If she didn't do something soon, however, she wouldn't have anything much to use to dispatch the flames.  But if she could get rid of this first ring...

"CHYAH!"  Misu's anger was brought to the surface, along with a burst of stream from the pores of the exposed areas of her body.  The constant spray of vaporous water was enough to combat the smallest circle of fire, quenching it without much hassle.  However, letting loose a continuous flow of steam like that made her dehydrated as hell, even with her ability to quickly absorb some of the moisture back into her skin.  Her quirk was better at keeping the water inside her body, not letting it out like a super soaker bargain sale.  As soon as she was about to bark at her teacher, a square tile from the room's floor peeled back, and a bottle of water rose from the abyss.  

Misu quickly grabbed the bottle, and started taking small sips from it.  She could feel the water rushing to every cell in her body.  It tingled a little bit, but she was used to the feeling it.  Hell, she kind of even liked it.  Once the bottle was half empty, she put it down on the floor.  She cracked her knuckles, and prepared a wide stance.  

"CHYAAAAAAAAAH!"  With another yell, her steam came out once more.  This time, her steam lazily pushed against the ring of fire, evaporating as if it hadn't even tried.  She stopped, as she saw her efforts with her technique were futile.  She took another sip of her bottle, while visualizing every pore in her body.  She could feel them open and shut, by her command.  If she was going to do this, she'd need to do some quick training.  

c8vVeoJ.png

Once in the training room, it seemed pretty...bland for the moment. Keyword being "for the moment". Yuudai watched as a side of the wall of the room began to become craggy and even elongate, practically making an almost realistic cliff side. Above him on the ceiling, the young man noticed a button...which he ended up putting two and two together for the most part.

"Huh...side of the cliff." Yuudai looked at the wall that elongated and became this obstacle. "So, what's the...uh...what's the catch?" he asked, stretching slightly. "Things like this usually have one...so it can't be too easy."

"There's no catch..."  A reply whispered into the room.  "At least...if there was I wasn't going to tell you."

"Fair enough..." Yuudai shrugged, stretching a bit more before finally rolling his shoulders some, moving towards the wall. Cautiously, he began to attempt to climb the rock formation that had emerged from the wall. Unfortunately, while Yuudai was indeed climbing the wall...it felt like he was going absolutely no where. Truth be told, he wasn't.

He stopped for a moment, backing away from the wall. "...okay, when I asked if there was a catch, this was something I meant." he muttered with a slight sigh. "So what gives, Ms. Hitotsume?" Unfortunately, no answer was heard. ...not surprised at this point...

Regardless, without hearing anything from Hitostme, Yuudai then proceeded to examine the wall closely. That's when he saw it. He watched it return to normal, but originally...it had extended about the same length he was climbing. "So it extends when I climb...perfect..." Yuudai muttered, his words dripping with sarcasm along with a heavy sigh. "Could try and tank myself up there...but how to get over to the button afterwards?"

PysLiPD.png?1

When he stepped in the room, he was greeted by a bunch of small, ticking orbs with red lights in them .The room itself seemed to be a series of metallic plates with certain shapes on them for purposes Suda did not understand. The boy scratched the side of his head. It took him a while of scanning the room to notice a very small cube on one side of the room, and a rather obviously cube-shaped hole on the other side of the same size. "Tch, this is the best they got?" Suda scoffed, rolling his eyes, as he carefully maneuvered the various orbs scattered across the floor. All he had to do was to move the block from point A to point B, while walking around the minefield. It seemed simple enough - he wouldn't even need his quirk for this. "This is a joke, right?" He said, reaching down to pick up the small cube as he could fit it in one hand.

"Huh?"

The cube didn't seem to budge at all, which prompted Suda to start tugging on the cube harder. He knew the cube should be able to move - it was the obvious solution - and he could feel what felt like a mechanism release the cube, signalling that it was intended to move. And yet, move it did not. Suda became more and more frustrated before realizing what the deal was. "So I do have to use my quirk then... Ok ok..." He said, grinning. While he wasn't a force of physical strength, the force from his orbs certainly would do the job. Pointing his arm towards the hole, he flung one of his many gravitational orbs towards it, and grinned as he was ready to reap the rewards.

As soon as he did, and everything in the room started moving, all of the orbs detonated, causing Suda to scream out in pain and lose concentration on his orb. He grimaced as he turned towards the cube, which hadn't even budged an inch from what he did. He was furious, but let out an angry sigh. "Well, at least the bombs are gone."

As if to spite him, holes opened up from everywhere in the room, dispensing the orbs once again. After being dispensed, the bombs started ticking once more, the red lights blinking as if to taunt him. Suda could feel his eye twitch, as he let out a scream of rage. "WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?" He let out, slamming his fist on one of the walls. Unfortunately, his hand happened to be next to one of the bombs, which almost immediately detonated right on him. This one left a nasty burn mark on his fist, as he let out a growl. This wasn't training - this was hell.

It wasn’t long before Taro heard a faint ticking noise, which was soon followed by many more ticks filling the void silence of the once low humming hum of the room. Looking around himself, he was surrounded by objects that seem to resemble different types of bombs. Some looked like that cartoonish bomb without fuses, while the other looked like those you would see in a terrorist bombing situation. This had to be a hologram, right? Going to the closest bomb, he confirmed that they were definitely physical to the touch. “Hey, uhh Ms. Hitotsume. I am generally confused about what I’m initially doing with these LIVE BOMBS!”

"Oh...those?"  She giggled. "Well, this is just a test of your decision making, and reflexes!  If you pay attention closely, these bombs are set to blow at awkward times. Just make them small, and the explosion will be small, right?" In most ways, that made a lot of sense, but Taro only assumed that, based on his experience with a baseball, the kinetic force of objects retained their energy inside his pocket-verse.

“So, in doing so of retaining these bombs before the impact of the explosion, it would be a 50/50 of them dissipating in my pocket during the explosion, or they retain their form until I release them. . .” 

Too much thinking will result in Taro getting hurt, he quickly got into a squat as he listened for some sign of them going off. The ticking was getting annoying; however, there was a distinct rhythm to each of them that if he continued to listen closely then. . . It wasn’t long before he heard it, the noise of an old microwave ding from his left. With no hesitation, he leaped towards the bomb and compressed it as a sound of an explosion faintly sounded and echoed in the room. Taro held the bomb for a few seconds in his hand as it began to cramp harshly due to the force of the bomb. Soon, he flung his hand above him and released his palm only to find a cloud of fine dust spreading out into the room. He couldn't believe that Ms. Hitotsume would have more understanding of his quirk than he did; it seemed illogical but can’t argue with the results. “I thank you for not trying to purposely kill me just to prove a hypothetical.” 

Katsurou squinted slightly as his eyes adjusted to the low light of the test chamber. When his eyes finally adjusted, he beheld a large plastic contraption behind a thick glass wall, illuminated only with dim red light. Pistons hissed, gears clinked and levers squeaked, muffled by the barrier that reached from the very top of the room to the ground. Highlighted by yellow lights were white plastic domes and holes in the wall of varying shapes, each one connected to the rest of the contraption. The glass wall completely cut access to the contraption, save for a single hole in the bottom right corner that led to a circular hole in the wall the same size as his orb.

The swirling and scintillating complexity of the contraption was a lot for Katsurou to take in, standing in awe of it in silence. Upon closer examination, it appeared that the mechanism was divided into 4 parts by glass walls, becoming less complex as the one travelled to the left. However, the objective of the whole mechanism was lost in its ordered chaos. Clearly he would need to put his orb into the hole in the wall, but what would it do?

“Oh Katsurou! Thank you for helping Spring Lock during the trip! I heard you were instrumental in Diana’s rescue,” said Ms. Hitotsume, her voice filling the room through hidden speakers.

“Ah, think nothing of it sensei. I was only doing what I thought was best,” he responded before his train of thought was cut off by Ms. Hitotsume clearing her throat.

“That being said, that little ball of tin foil is really slowing down your progress! So it’s time we fast forward a bit!”

“Of course sensei, but I am having trouble understanding how this machine will teach me.”

“Oh, I’m sure you can figure it out! Use your head!”

With that, the room was quiet again, save for the muffled clicks from the machine behind glass. With little else to do, Katsurou moved his orb into the hole in the wall and into the circular hole in the wall behind it. As he did, the lights around the hole turned green, along with a section of the machine, illuminating a series of pistons that formed an obstacle course. At the top, a hole in the shape of an 8 pointed star was highlighted with yellow lights much like the one at the bottom. On the floor, the plastic dome retracted into the floor, revealing a small cast iron pan.

“Now I understand…”

While he had manipulated iron and rebar before, shaping it into such a complex shape and getting it past moving obstacles would be a new challenge. Take a deep breath, he spread his stance, raised his arms, and focused intensely on the pan. As he did, the pan slowly raised above the ground and slowly started to compress and bend into a ball shape.

Once in the shape of a ball, he spread his arms as if he were pulling the air apart, his face wrinkling from the effort. The crumpled pan followed his direction, growing eight arms, forming a clumsy star shape before hitting the ground with a dull thud. Katsurou put his hands on his knees as he caught his breath, panting from the exertion.

Once he caught his breath, Katsurou readied his stance again and raised the scrap iron star off the ground and towards the first piston. He slowly raised the star upwards past it, only for the piston to suddenly thrust out of the wall, crushing it against the wall with a loud thud. The sudden impact startled him, dropping the star as he recoiled. As he looked back, he saw that the piston had crushed the star, leaving it an amorphous pile of scrap on the floor.

As the piston returned to its resting position, Katsurou let out an exasperated sigh. He looked to the other three sections, still silhouetted by dim red light.

“If this is just the first trial...Lord give me strength…”

mVvsZap.png?1

Wind up. Pitch. Impact. Boom. Cloud. Double Knockout. Failure. 

With a deep sigh and slightly heavy breaths, Yuuka slumped her shoulders as this had happened yet again. And again. And again. In fact, it was practically all that had happened in the time since she had begun her training in this facility. She had tried all she could think of to hit the dummies as best she could. The challenge was simple. A straight toss would always occur in a knock out of both targets. And throwing it down the hole would always result in a straight toss. She had tried many ways of tossing. Different speeds. Different curves. Different starting points. And without fail her cloud would either explode on both of them or merely hit against the wall and not reach either. And, while she was normally fine doing this, doing it for so long and so often had started to leave the young poisonous girl tired. And so, she leaned back, squatting down into fully sitting on the ground. 

Letting out a defeated sigh, the girl tried to rethink her approach. Thinking back on it, Ms. Hitotsume had said that her making orbs was likely hampering her powers. And, each time she had thought about it, she had gotten nowhere and simply retried her already proven ineffective method of pitching. However, if she kept stubbornly trying to use the only thing she had, it was clear she was going to fail for real from pure exhaustion.

The obvious solution was to blame Ms. Hitotsume for giving her an impossible task. After all, it was her body and her quirk, so how could her teacher possibly  know more about it than her? Of course, thinking like that annoyed Yuuka to no end, and thinking rationally on it it didn't even make sense to her. As she tried to think about what her power actually was, she knew that outside of a fundamentally basic idea on what it was, she could hardly explain it herself. And so, all she could do was speculate on what it was her quirk did. And so, any idea that Ms. Hitotsume had must have been equally valid as well. In essence, her teacher didn't have an answer, but knew that there was a problem that had one. And it was up to Yuuka to figure out what that solution was herself. Letting out a soft chuckle, the girl said, "what a harsh teaching style." 

Yuuka knew that if she was to figure this out she needed to go over everything she knew about her quirk, and figure out where it was she was tripping herself up. Firstly, she secreted a poison like substance across her skin that on contact fatigued a target. The primary method of using this was skin to skin contact. However, she could make an orb of poison that she was able to throw. When it made contact, it exploded and released a cloud of a less potent version of her poison. The girl stopped herself as she finished this explanation, thinking there was something off about it. Replaying it in her head over and over, the girl simply said, "wait...hmm..." 

Looking at her palm, the girl focused on herself and made yet another orb of poison appear in it. Studying the orb more carefully, it was clear that it was a gas of some kind. "I see. How simple minded could I possibly be?" The girl admonished herself, realizing the answer itself was obvious. One could not will a liquid into a gas. One could not shape gas without a container. One could not hold onto gas. It mattered little if one could because one could not possibly pitch gas like it was a baseball. Standing up, the girl understood now. Her power was not to create a ball of poison. Her power was not to pitch poison. She had simply convinced herself long ago that this was the only way it could be use. It was the most logical conclusion in her mind to end at, and having formed muscle memory on it, she couldn't possibly see it as anything else. Stepping back, a renewed look of confidence on her face, the girl said, "alright. Let's start round two." 

ksARFRH.png

She'd mapped the room out. It wasn't entirely a maze. Only the outer parts. There was no way to worm her way through the maze to the center, and the walls at the center of the maze were too high to jump over. Indeed, the only way to get her hands on that key was to fly. Then fly she would! With a mighty leap upward, the bat girl flapped her wings... and while she did get some extra air, it wasn't long before she was back on the floor again. Again. Again. Again. No matter how many tries it would take, Hibiki was getting up there, grabbing that key, and passing her test!

Twenty? Fifty?

It had to be at least two-hundred attempts by now. Even someone with Hibiki's incredible circulation was running out of breath by now. Were all those training videos for nothing? Hibiki raked the back of her mind as she sat down to catch her breath, thinking about all the information she'd gathered from those videos and her texting spree with Hikari.

One particular text stood out in that moment.

When they're trying to run faster on the ground, bats hop and bound along. Like a rabbit!

Maybe that was worth a shot! Hibiki got down into a runner's position this time, rather than just hopping up and flapping her wings. As the bat girl ran  she began flapping her wings in rhythm with her footsteps, moving along a relatively long corridor within the maze. Her run turned into more of a skip, then a series of hops, before with a great jump and with a bigger, stronger flap of the wings, Hibiki took off. Hibiki braced herself for impact as she continued flapping, but... nothing. All she could feel was the air beneath her, as if she was swimming in air.

Flight!

She'd done it!

...only to fly directly into a wall in her excitement. Hibiki plummeted to the floor, landing quite a bit harder than usual. That was gonna leave a mark. But she knew how to take off now. All that was left was to brush it off, get up, catch her breath, and do it again! And then get a hold of this steering thing.

Diana_Seigi.png

"Aaaagh!"

Diana stumbled back into the wall, panting hard as she slumped against it. She had removed her socks and shoes, and her left heel looked heavily damaged. It bled a decent amount, though nothing compared to the wounds that leg had been recovering from. Gritting her teeth, the girl walked forward somewhat shakily, approaching the block once more. Managing to find her balance on her left leg, Diana lifted her right leg high in the air... and slammed her right heel onto the block. And, this time, the block actually took some damage. A crack about an inch deep appeared from the impact, as Diana took a deep breath and found her balance again. Hitting her right foot didn't hurt nearly as bad as her left, but even so...

"I'm bleeding here, and this is the extent of what I can do without..." Diana grimaced at the saw, before looking to the ceiling, "<Dammit...> Don't you think this is enough <torture>!?"

ohSLUWk.png

Herc sat in the corner of the room, panting and collecting himself.  By this time, Herc wasn't a very happy man beetle. The constant smacks of newspaper, fly swatters, and bug spray really made it hard to do this already tough feat. Worst part was, he had dropped it a lot of times, and there was never a time he managed to hold on to the thing for more than 15 minutes. His muscles were aching, screaming for rest, but he had to do this, or he'd be sprayed down with bug spray for a good long time, which wasn't something he wanted to go through.

With a sigh, he stood back up and grabbed the thing, lifting it over his head once more. The assault was immediate, but he held out. He closed his eyes, trying to ignore the hits and the pure poison they were spraying in his face. He would hold out this time, he had to, if only to escape this room. He would endure, and become the greatest hero ever known!

How long had she been going at this? She couldn't tell anymore. And there was no way of getting any kind of confirmation. She didn't even know how far into the cube she had gotten. All she could see was flames. A rising wave of fire that enveloped the steel and covered her vision.

She was reminded of that night. Valerie had to remind herself again and again that there was no one here to hurt. The only one that could be in danger due to this was herself. Which gave her the strength to continue. At least mentally.

Physically she wasn't holding up so well. Her body was growing colder. All the heat that she had left was being used to fuel the flames. It didn't matter though. It didn't matter if she became ice cold. All that she needed to do was melt this damn cube to the ground.

...Why?

No, there was no point in questioning it now. She couldn't afford to give up. A moment of faltering was all it would take to lose it completely and if she hadn't reached the core yet then what would be the point of all this if she didn't succeed? She had to be stronger. She had to show that she could break the limits and control this power of hers to the highest degree possible.

But who was it she was trying to show?

This training was becoming bothersome and increasingly tiring as the timing of the bombs became more sporadic as 2 or more began to go off together. The explosions themselves seemed to be less potent as the only damage they seem to be doing is making it harder for Taro to hear the ticking, and at least one of his pants pockets blowing out from the inside-out. Taro’s hands began to become stiff from overuse combined with the overall pain it was bringing. However, Taro did his best to keep up with the bombs as they went off, although it felt he has been in the room for an hour or more.

He needed a break, just some time to rest. He ran off into the corner of the room to get away from the madness; however, the bombs followed as they just spawned near Taro. “GIVE ME A BREAK!! Are you not entertained?!" He yelled as he continued to grab the explosives and just toss them away from him in hopes of getting his hands a break for a bit from the chaos circling about him.

whIkgqw.png

One more ring of flames to go.  She was panting incessantly now, as she took another swig of the water that was keeping her in the fight.  She launched a roundhouse kick, boosted with her quirk, in a vain attempt to squelch the flames with the pure air pressure.  However, the flames were too far away from her, as the merely danced with the breeze.  She frazzled her hair, growing more and more upset.  It felt like she was going to explode!  

"Wait..."  Misu thought for once.  Explode.  She'd never thought of exploding...she'd only ever expelled her mist through her skin in lazy streams.  But not unlike a tea kettle, if she kept the steam inside, and let the pressure build up...it finally clicked!  She smiled to herself.  "Not bad Misu."  She stood in the center of the ring again.  She visualized her body as a tea kettle, corking the spout shut.  Her pores closed as tightly as possible.  Nothing was going to get out.  Then, she fired up her Quirk, boiling the water in her body, and letting the steam rise to the surface.  With no where to go, it built under her skin.  She grit her teeth, as she could feel the heat and pressure burst against her skin.  "Not yet, Misu.  Hold out for a little while longer."  She'd need to do this as efficiently as possible...she really only had one proper shot at this.  She'd reached her boiling point long ago, when she finally decided top let her pores loose, flexing outwards even, helping the steam escape at rapid speed from every exit it could escape.  A loud boom could be heard in the room, as the steam erupted from her.  The fire never stood a chance, as the wave of moisture washed over it, killing it in an instant.  

Her knees buckled, as she fell to the ground.  Her mind was fried.  It hurt like a bitch.  The celebratory bottle of water emerged from the floor, a small reward for the giant task.  Misu didn't turn it down, rather she gulped it down with all the strength she had.  Misu looked to the door she thought she had come through.  It didn't open.  However, she could here the chamber depressurize from the other side.  The door on the opposite side of the room had opened.   

"Good grief...what freakin' gives?"  

"Oh...did I mention there's another part to all of this?"  The sly laugh at the end signaled that there was more hell to go through.  She grabbed her coat, and swung it over her shoulders.  She didn't even put her arms through.  She walked through the door, only to be met with a similar room.  This one, however, looked to be about five times as big.  Across the room, she could see another girl...however this one looked rather dainty and frail.

"Ah...oh dear...I'm sorry to intrude on you..."  The girl bowed before Misu.  Her eyebrow raised with confusion.

"Eh?  So what, do I have to kill you now?"  

The girl leaped back, her eyes widened with shock.

"K-k-kill!?  Are you a villain?!"  

The speakers turned on in an instant.

"Please do not kill Ms. Orchard, Misu.  For this next part of your test, you'll be entering mock battles with a teammate from Class 1-A.  It's best to get to know each other immediately...we'll be opening the other side of the room soon."

"Hm...tag teams, huh?"  Misu cracked her neck.  "Fine by me.  She'd be too easy anyways."  The girl across from her swiped the sweat from her brow, relieved at the fact that she wouldn't be fighting such a scary girl.  "So...who the hell are you, and what do you do."  The girl leaped back again.

"Hello.  Nice to meet you.  My name is Lily Orchard."  Her formal speaking was starting to piss Misu off.  "My Quirk allows me to duplicate any part of my body at will, on any part of my body that I wish.  If I make too many, it spreads out my nervous system, and doesn't allow me to react to things well."  She demonstrated her quirk by making multiple arms and hands that extended towards Misu, in a creepy display.  Misu knocked the gangly protrusion of arms aside, and shivered.  The girl seemed off put, and retracted her limbs.  "What is your name, and Quirk?"

Misu looked to the girl, and tilted her head upright, screaming over her head.

"The name's Misu Yoshino!  My Quirk is Steam Engine.  I boil the water in my body, and pump it into my muscles.  And now it can explode out if I want it to!"  Misu placed her hands on her hips and roared.  "Pretty badass, right?!"  The girl shook her head in agreement, but rather sheepishly.  

"I like forward to working with you Yoshino-san."  

Edited by Mr. Hyde

c8vVeoJ.png

Yuudai carefully surveyed the wall, rubbing his chin slightly. He'd have to use his Quirk to get up the wall and over to the button on the ceiling. The problem became...the best way and manner to accomplish this. Truthfully, he'd never actually used his Quirk to tank himself up a wall before...on the ground was one thing, but a wall? That was a whole different story.

"Well...no time like the present...just gotta do it. Just imagine it's the ground...just like how you tank on the ground." he sighed, stretching slightly as he made his way back to the wall. He held onto the craggy cliff side wall and began to have his chain belt muscles whirl to life. With a deep breath, he began to have them grip to the wall and he began to literally tank himself up the wall. H-Hey...this isn't as bad as I thought!

Unfortunately, Yuudai didn't see the next part coming, in the form of large rocks now beginning to poke out of the wall...and even some fairly large boulders were now falling from where the ceiling and craggy wall met. Apparently, Hitotsume had just thrown on the obstacles...nothing was ever easy it seemed.

"T-Tch...need to evade obstacles too? Jeez...is this teacher a sadist or something?" he groaned slightly, already doing his best to dodge and maneuver out of the way of the protruding rocks in the wall and the falling boulders. So far he was doing a hell of a job, which was actually surprising himself at this point. J-Just keep imaging that it's you tanking on the ground...we're almost there! he thought, nearing the top of the wall. With a grunt, he reached the very top of the wall and to his surprise, kept moving...now tanking himself along the ceiling.

With a gulp, he did his best to position himself to where the button was and in a quick movement, began to pass by the button and pressed it immediately. He heard the door open on the opposite side of the room and was excited. Unfortunately, Yuudai wasn't paying too much attention and hit the other wall and began to slide down it, groaning all the while. "...ow...ow...ow! Damn...that hurt..." he grumbled, rubbing his forehead slightly, looking at the open door. "Well...upside, the door's open. Meaning I probably passed..." he said, slowly getting up, proceeding to enter through the newly opened door. However...

There in the next room wasn't Hitotsume or any of his classmates...but a very familiar looking young man, who seemed to be waiting, the impatient tapping of his finger on his arm definitely showed that. The young man's eyes glazed over, almost like he was staring through Yuudai...but on the opposite end...

BGM

"W-WHA?! YOU?!?!" Yuudai exclaimed, pointing immediately at the young man. "NAPALM?! Wait...time out here Ms. Hitotsume! Why is this guy here??"

"He'll be your partner in the upcoming mock battle!"  The speaker rang out.  "You two play nice."

The boy across from him visibly cringed. "Uh...do I know you?"

"Partner?! You've got to be kidding me..." Yuudai groaned, his hand meeting his face before glancing over at the young man. After he heard what the guy said, however, he was...a little confused. "Wait...you don't...okay, let's back this up. The U.A. Entrance Exam, down in that weird lab basement thing. You attacked me and a weird creature, Silver. And you literally trapped me in debris on another side of the thing until I gave you one of my badges." He explained, before beginning to pinch the area between his eyes. "...ya know what, try this from the top then. Shiba Yuudai is my name."

"Well...I did that to a lot of losers...you don't really stand out that much to me. I'm more shocked that someone actually made it out and got into this school, honestly." He flipped his hair before scoffing. "If I didn't remember your name the first time, I surely won't remember it this time either. There was no point in introducing yourself." He laughed. "I barely remember my classmates names. They're all just as lame as you look."

"Oh good, still as pompous as you were when you were acting like a 'hero' during the exam." Yuudai rolled his eyes, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "...look, I want to pass this and if anything, I know you do too. To do that, we have to at least ATTEMPT to work together...no matter how much I don't want to with an arrogant individual such as yourself..." his voice began to trail off at that last sentence. "...so what's your name, Napalm? I at least need to know that...otherwise I'll be calling you Napalm the entire time. I also recall a good portion of your Quirk...its more or less your hands or hand-prints make things explode, am I wrong?"

ohSLUWk.png

It had taken him many tries. He had tried many things, taken many stances, but finally, like Hercules holding up the sky, he managed to hold on to that damn cube for an hour. As if it was the signal to his victory, the chamber depressurize from the other side, a loud hissing noise filling the air as door on the opposite side of the room opened.  It was like something out of a sci-fi movie, really. Herc looked at the door, sighing to himself. Instead of going through though, he flopped onto the ground, his back leaning against the giant cube he was holding. He could afford a few minutes… or sixty.

Instead of those minutes, however, Herc was met with someone on the other side of the door opening it after a short while, peeking into the room and the man inside. On the other side of the door was a girl, from whom Herc could probably feel a disapproving look, even if her face showed no such thing. “Get up,” she coldly said. “You’re wasting your time, as well as mine.”

“Okay, but consider the following,” Herc retorted. “Is it really a waste of time to regain my strength, so I don’t waste my time being exhausted with… whatever it is we’re doing next?”

“Mock combat, according to the teachers. Regaining your strength is good and well, but you may one day have to capture villains whilst exhausted. If you’re going to catch your breath, at least do it in here so I can get a better look at you.”

“Fine, fine, I’m comin’,” Herc muttered as he stood up, groaning a bit as he stretched, walking over to the door and opening it, squeezing his way inside.

“Sato Rei,” the girl simply stated as Herc stepped in. “That’s my name. My Quirk is called Checkpoint. It allows me to mark a location and return to it later. Seeing as we’re likely going to be partners, I would like your name and Quirk in return now.”

“Geez, so pushy. You’d think we’re dating,” Herc muttered. “Well, I’m Herc Coleo. Now, I’m sure my quirk is rather obvious,” He mentioned as he motioned to himself. “But I’ll give you the rundown anyways. My Quirk is Brain Power, and its sustained by eating smart people. And as you might guess, eating smart people has an obvious effect,” He paused for dramatic effect. “It gives me electrical powers,”

“...” A mildly dumbfounded look spread on Rei’s face, as she looked at the impressively large beetle man on the floor, then back into the room he’d come from, and the large block in it. “Mutant-type Quirk,” she started, closing the door. “Provides the user with super strength. High durability is also to be expected, looking at your exoskeleton. I was asking about your Quirk as a formality, but you shouldn’t take me for a fool because of it.”

“Nah, just keeping the mood light. It’s sort of my gimmick,” Herc admitted. “Figures my partner is the one devoid of a sense of humor,”

“I’m more interested in my duty as a hero-to-be than making jokes. Trying to implement comedic timing into combat with a villain would just distract me. Whatever we’re about to face off with, I would appreciate if you took the same mindset; I doubt our opponent will be a pushover.”

“No promises, I’ve practiced my quips so much they’re now a habit,”

Edited by Saikazo May Cry

She had to keep pushing. Just keep pushing and pushing and never stop pushing. Eventually she would melt this cube. She couldn't let it beat her. She couldn't let anything beat her!

After a while something seemed different. It wasn't at first noticeable but as the flames lapped at the object they suddenly shifted in their trajectory. Almost as if they were hitting something they couldn't envelop as easily as the rest. With a great effort she slowed the projection of flame until it flickered around the ends of her body. Enough that she could see that she had reached the center. A black box sat there without any hint of damage.

Letting out a breath she pumped her first and moved to the box. Opening it up revealed a button.

Briefly wondering if this was a trick she slammed her hand onto it and a doorway opened.

With a shrug she walked towards it, strolling with purpose and confidence, happy to have finished the task before her flame went out.

She entered another room. Similar to the previous but much larger. And felt a sinking feeling in her stomach. It wasn't over, was it?

Soon after entering another door opened up and in came one of the boys from the entrance exam. The one with horns. Pip, was it? She gave him a wave. "Yo. You know what's going on here? Are we supposed to fight again?"

"Ah geez...it's you huh?" He sighed, scratching the nape of his neck. "I'm not in the best shape to fight you...I mean...Loki couldn't even do it. Looks like I'll just throw it in."

"No need for that!" Ms. Hitotsume's voice resonated through the room. "You'll be working together this time!"

Work together? Another team up thing? How was she supposed to get stronger if she had to worry about a partner all the time. "Well, guess you lucked out. So what're we fighting then?"

"All in due time, Valerie~!" She sang.

"Lucked out?" Pip responded. "You hit the worst jackpot in history. My legs feel like they could give out any minute...our teacher's test was brutal."

Valerie flexed one arm and grinned. "Don't worry about that. Just back me up and I'll take down whatever comes our way." Though what she didn't say was how she wasn't sure how much longer she could keep this up. Even now the flames were weakening as they stood there.

Pip almost seemed shock, as his eyes widened. "Wow...you really wanna become the real deal, huh?" He laughed. "I'm kinda inspired now!" He winced in pain, as he leaned in to do some leg stretches. "You got yourself a deal, just don't go burning all my fur off, okay?"

"Of course, I can take whatever they throw at me!" She turned from him to examine the room again. Looking for a hint of what was to come. As for Pip's request, well, she couldn't exactly make any promises.

She just hoped he didn't get too close.

Diana_Seigi.png

After a few more minutes of trying, Diana's right foot seemed much less injured than her left, but she still stood a bit shakily on them. The crack in the cement had doubled in size, but it wasn't really enough to call the training a success. This torture, as she saw it. They knew what they were doing, and that saw she had cast aside was the clear proof. With a grimace, she approached the stone once more, this time pulling her left arm back and taking a deep breath.

"<God damn it! Enough alreadyyy! My Quirk has no room to grow!>" She sreamed as she punched the block at the crack, causing the crack grow exponentially, to the point part of it broke off. Diana stared at her hand, barely damaged, an expression of shock on her face. "<Wait... what?>"

However, the door at the back of the room opened before she could process her thoughts. It seemed like they considered this a success, though Diana had no idea what happened. Had she grown? But, her quirk never grew before... Why now? Shaking her thoughts, she picked up her shoes and carried them into the next room, where she found a girl with long, light brown hair waiting.

"Ah, come on. You're not gonna make me fight when I'm this battered, are you?" She asked the sky.

"Fight?" the young girl asked, before smiling, putting some of her hair behind her ear. "Trust me, that's the last thing we'd be doing. It's actually the opposite, I'm your partner in a mock battle." The young girl extended a hand towards Diana. "Asuka Miku of Class 1-A. Pleasure to meet you."

Diana cocked a brow for a moment, but what reason would there be for her to lie in this environment? With a sigh, she extended her slightly scuffed left hand, taking Asuka's hand and giving it a firm shake. 

"Diana Seigi. Nice to meet you. Pardon the, <uh>, dried blood."

"Oh it's alright!" Miku smiled, shaking Diana's hand. "Well then, Diana, I guess we should get down to brass tacks, since we're partners for the moment." She backed away slightly, putting crossing her arms slightly. "Let's talk Quirks...more specifically, what mine and yours do. I'll start." Miku began, clearing her throat.

"I have an Emitter Type that I call Slipstream. Basically, I can create...and by create...I mean somewhat screte a hardening mucus to form a short range shield in the shape of my body, it only covers the front unfortunately. Buuuuuut, the front of the shield is formed in an airfoil...which is the best part!" she paused, holding up a finger. "It all works together to allow me to slice through the air while running, meaning I have absolutely zero drag and I'm light on my feet along with being super fast through the air. So yeah, if anything...I could've just said it makes me fast."

"<I see...> Since you call it Slipstream, I'm gonna guess that anyone following behind you also has reduced drag?"

"Ooooh...that's a good question." Miku said, now putting a hand under her chin. "I...don't think I've ever tried that before. BUT, it sounds like something that could definitely be tried!" she gave a quick smile, shrugging. "I'm a bit of a risk taker, so if that happens to be something that might actually work for us, I'll at least try to see if it works! So what about you, Diana? What's your Quirk?"

"It could definitely work with my quirk... Eh, ah, mine..." Diana sighed, grabbing her hair and pulling it back to reveal her prosthetic eye to yet another person, a frown creeping across her face. "It's called <Trade-Off> in English. Trade-Off is probably the right Japanese translation? Not sure. The simple explanation is that my body is split down the middle. Whenever half of my body," She lifted her finger to her prosthetic right eye, "is damaged or missing, the equivalent part on the other half of my body is given a percentage boost equal to the loss from the other side. So my left eye functions at 200%, while my right eye is robotic." 

Letting her hair fall back down, Diana sighed and crossed her arms. She squeezed her hands as she looked to the side, not wanting to meet her partner's gaze. "And I'd appreciate it if you don't tell anyone about this."

"Oh wow..." Miku nodded, looking at the prosthetic eye. "So basically, if you have parts missing, you get more power on the other side? Yikes, that sounds a bit rough." With a slight shrug, she nodded, hearing Diana's request. "Certainly, Diana. No one else will know, cause while I am a social butterfly, I tend to keep secrets between friends just that: a secret. So you can definitely trust me!"

"Injured works, too. After all, I managed to damage a block of cement after tearing up my left foot." Diana motioned to her foot, only to realize exactly how much of a mess she was. Sweaty, hair disheveled, feet bleeding, left hand messed up. This was certainly a wonderful way to meet a new classmate. "So, uh, any clue about specifics of what we're doing?"

"Other than a mock battle, your guess is as good as mine." Miku sighed, already moving to put her hair in a ponytail. "Still, as long as we have each other's backs, we should be fine."

"Alright, then I'm just... gonna sit down <til> we get started," Diana slumped against the wall and sighed, laying her head back and letting her eyes gently close. She really needed to just breathe. Though, what was with her quirk earlier...?

mVvsZap.png?1

Gathering the poison in her hand, the girl had formed it into an orb just as always. Though she was sure that just throwing it was going to fail yet again, this was the most direct method of delivering it. Though it was largely unnecessary, the girl wound back her arm before going for yet another pitch. As the orb traveled through the hole, as it reached the end Yuuka had focused on it yet again. Or, rather, she was aware she was unconsciously focusing on it, and instead made a conscious effort to cease that. As she did, without colliding into anything, the poison had gone from an orb into exploding into a gas. Refocusing on the now dispersed cloud, the girl had only one thought about what it was to do. Move. 

The cloud, however, seemed to be obstinate. Rather, now that it was no longer in orb form nor close by, the girl had trouble figuring out just how to focus on the poison. It was something strange. Neither a part of her body nor something she merely expelled. She could not command it freely like she could an arm, yet it was not so independent as sweat falling to the ground. It was something wholly different than either of those things, and something she could only imagine was beyond a normal human's comprehension. Yet as un-explainable as it was, she knew she was making progress with it. Though the poison cloud had not moved, she could still feel as though she was "pushing" against it. And, that it had moved was merely a result of her not "pushing" hard enough. And so she tried again. And again. And again. Each time she tossed her orb, the girl could start to feel the fatigue begin to set further in, yet each time she felt it was inching farther. That it was responding to her more. 

With one last pitch, the girl tossed her orb of poison into the hole. Exploding at the end of it, the girl focused. She wished for the cloud to move forward, and to the side. And so it did. As gently as though it were pushed by a breeze, it still held and made its way over to the dummies. Moving to the side, it coated one, leaving the other safe. As she did this, a dinging noise resounded through the room. Hearing a door to her side unlock, the girl let out a sigh of relief, figuring that she had now finally passed her trial. Looking at her palm, she simply thought about it, wondering what else was possible. If it was all a matter of effort, of creativity and simply her will, then what else was her poison able to accomplish? The girl hadn't the faintest idea, and she was a bit fatigued to really care  at the moment. All that did was that she had passed. 

Walking over to the door, Yuuka entered the next room over. 

Surprised to see someone else, someone that was neither a classmate of hers nor her teacher, the girl simply waved to the person saying, “well, hello there.” 

Yuuka was met with a girl of small stature, with long black hair, who greeted her new partner with an enthusiastic wave. “Hi there!” After Ms. Hitotsume explained that this was to be a mock combat trial where the two teamed up, the girl nodded. She seemed to have a pretty good grasp of what was going on, then eyed Yuuka quizzically. “So, what’s your Quirk do anyway? And your name too. I can’t just call you ‘vanilla ice cream hair girl’ forever, can I?”

Yuuka looked at the girl with a raised eyebrow, but still smiled. She hadn't called her that all yet. "Well, my name is Itou Yuuka. And hmm,” the girl put a finger to her chin as she thought about what next to say. She didn't really think it was worth telling her everything about her quirk, and the girl herself had just come to the realization that perhaps she didn't know anything about it anyway. So, it wouldn't do well to mislead the girl. Nodding, with a sweet smile on her face the girl said, “and I suppose you could say my quirk is to poison things. Mostly through contact, but, well it’s not all that interesting.” Her expression turning to a frown she said, “that being said, it’s rude to not introduce oneself first when asking a name right? This is especially so for a hero.” After finger wagging she then changed back to a smile saying, “so, what is your name Miss?”

“Ah, right. My bad. Katatsu Yuri, Class 1-A!” Yuri held her hands out, emitting a smokescreen through which Yuuka couldn’t see. “My Quirk lets me create this smoke. Plus, I sound like I’m everywhere in it at once when I’m talking!” Yuri stopped generating smoke, prompting the blinding haze to disappear before it could spread too much. “I can see through it just fine, of course.” She flashed Yuuka a thumbs-up. “We’re both in the hero class, so let’s get along, mkay?”

Yuuka looked impressed by the girl's quirk, and seemingly reached for a notebook that was not there. Frowning a bit at this, she then shrugged and perked back up, looking to her partner. Giving them a thumbs up as well, the girl said, “of course, looking forward to working with you Katatsu-san.” 

Every sound has become dull as the bombs kept coming doing more damage to his hearing. Finally, out of the chaos, Taro went and pocketed every bomb in the room and stood firm as he used whatever strength he had to keep the bombs at bay, hoping that he can hold out to the end of this test of his. After a minute or so of strenuous pain as each bomb went off, the room went quiet. No new bombs spawned, the room got a bit brighter as a door became visible in his view. Taro fell backward and gave out a victory cheer as he heard presumably Ms. Hitotsume talking, but was pretty muffled as Taro’s hearing started to slowly come back to him. Assuming she didn’t want him to dawdle, he rose up and proceeded to the door.

Upon opening, he came into another room of similar design, but there was someone there waiting. A lizard man? "Uhh, hi. Are you a student, teacher, or hologram villain? And speak up a bit if you could, I am hard of hearing right now."

The scaled-young man looked at Taro for a moment, before moving slightly, proceeding to twiddle his tail in his hand some. "Oh, hey. Um, I'm Tatsu Kibo...Kibo for short...or Tatsu, either one is fine really." he said, chuckling nervously. "I'm a student from Class 1-A...just actually got here from my own test...wasn't pretty. A-Anyway, I guess...assuming that what I was told earlier was true, we're supposed to be partners in some mock battle."

"I suppose, I think I heard my teacher’s voice, but it was just muffled due to the end results of my test. So I am just going to with what you said then." Taro extended his hand towards Tatsu as he got closer to him. "Hi, I’m Tenkara Taro from 1-B."

"Nice to meet you." Kibo nodded, extending the hand and shaking it. "So, uh...well to help you out, I guess I should mention my Quirk. My Quirk is called Scale, a Mutant-Type." he pointed to the scales that he currently had. "The other things, ears, claws, tail...that's inherent from my father's Quirk. A-Anyway, I have durable scales which is a great defensive mechanism for me...but I can also use them as projectiles."

"That’s awesome! My Quirk is Pocket, an Emitter-Type. I can fit any amount of non-living objects into my pockets, regardless of mass and size." Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out his carrying bag. "The downside is that I can’t keep them in for long as the bigger/heavier objects will burst out of my control quicker than something like a bag."

"Ohhhh...I see." Kibo nodded again, before raising a finger. "Hey...I just had an idea! I...don't have a clue who we'd be going up against...but if this Quirk of yours does what it says..." he said, moving his left arm in front of him, immediately popping off a few of the scales off his arm. "Here!" Kibo held out his hand, it being filled with roughly 10 scales, out towards Taro. "Fit these into it. That would definitely help and be quite a surprise!"

Holding the scales felt light, and they were sharp to a point like a knife that had been used for a while. "Thanks, but yeah, who knows what our teachers have in store for us, especially with my teacher behind the wheel." He leaned over to Tatsu and whispered, "She’s crazy."

"Y-Yeah...a good portion of the teachers here at U.A. are..." Kibo agreed, moving slightly as he sat down on the ground, holding his tail slightly. "Guess...we just sit around and wait for the moment or something."

“Yeah.” Taro sat down as well as he pulled out a deck of cards. “Hey, do you want to see a cool card trick?”

PysLiPD.png?1

Suda was starting to get frustrated with these bombs. He was making no progress on moving this cube, and any progress that he made reset as soon as he stopped concentration on his orbs. He even tried moving the cube little by little using his orbs, but the amount of force that he needed to move the cube would then trigger the nearby bombs. "Gaaah!" He shouted, kicking a wall that he knew didn't have a bomb on it. "This is so dumb!" He screamed at no one in particular, leaning onto the wall and sliding down to the ground. He placed his hands over his head, letting out a frustrated grunt. No matter what he did, the whole situation felt hopeless. All of his attempts to move this dumb cube have, quite literally, blown up in his face. His body was singed with scars of his failures as he gripped his hair. His doubts were begging to creep on him, like they did when he was alone at home. Maybe he wasn't cut out for this hero stuff like he thought.

He stood back up. "No..." He muttered, gripping his burned hand. "This is not how my story ends!" He declared, staring at the bomb. "I'm getting the hell out of here!" He had to be smart about this. No matter what he tried, his orbs always seemed to drag everything around it. Not only that, but he had to move the cube all at once, and it didn't seem to want to be jerked around at all. This was similar to the problem he had with helping Springlock - his orbs attracted everything around them. He never thought it was possible, but a solution did come to Suda's mind - if he could somehow direct the field of his orbs, as to only pull the cube, maybe he could drag it across the room. A cute idea, but he had no idea where to even start. Still, that's what the solution seemed to be.

Suda took a deep breath, closing his eyes. He cleared his mind of everything - his doubts, the field trip, even himself - and focused on one thing. The cube. With slight hesistation, Suda thrust his arm forwards towards the hole, another orb forming. And again, the bombs around the room detonated, leaving Suda to shout in pain once again as he flew back. While on the ground, however, he noticed that some of the bombs were still there. Specifically, there was a small cluster of them behind where he had placed his orb. He knew they hadn't moved because soon after the new bombs redeployed from the walls, filling the room again with bombs. Suda chuckled, before bursting into laughter. It wasn't much progress, but he had done it. He had done the impossible. He got up, ready to try once more.

He was going to do this.

. . .

It took him what he felt like was an eternity. His body was covered in bruises and burn marks, but his face had a wicked grin on it, as the cube slowly move along the ground towards the hole. He was sweating - this was taking a lot more energy out of him than he was used too. And yet, he didn't feel the exhaustion, only the adrenaline that pumped in his veins. His focus was completely on his orb, located near the hole that the cube had to go in. The bombs around him stood perfectly still as the cube reached his destination. Once the cube locked into place, the doors opened. "Yes. YES! YES!" Suda shouted, his knees giving in as he collapsed onto himself. He had done what he thought all this time was impossible.

He had controlled the field of his attraction.

Slowly, he picked himself up, wiping his brow before dusting off his jacket. He was tired, but he also felt like he was on top of the world now. With a wide grin on his face, he confidently walked through the door.

It felt good, taking his first step outside the room which he felt like he had spent hours in perfecting something he didn’t even know he could do. However, his grin didn’t last very long, as he entered another empty room. Empty, except for a lone girl standing there.

A girl who immediately locked her eyes onto Suda. “Gh… you again!?” If Suda was listening closely, he could have probably made out an off-handed muttering about how they’ll let anyone into U.A. The girl entered a combative stance. “If we’re here to fight, I won’t lose twice in a row.”

Suda’s eyes locked onto the girls, seeing her take a battle ready stance. Suda did the same, giving her an intense glare as he put his hands up. So they were forcing him to fight right after mastering his quirk, huh? A bold move, honestly one that he was pretty excited for. He didn't even consider how weak he felt as he raised his hands, ready to take on this new adversary with his new power. However, as he got ready to fight her words finally dawned on him. “Hah! I hope you’re ready to lose… again...” His expression shifted from one of cocky ferocity to one of confusion.

“Uh… who are you?”

“...”

The girl’s focus on the fight in front of her seemed to disippate immediately. Instead, she pointed directly at Suda, angrily yelling “IT’S SUZUME! TACHIBANA SUZUME, CLASS 1-A! YOU MADE A FOOL OUT OF ME DURING THE ENTRANCE EXAM AND THEN FORGOT ABOUT ME ENTIRELY!? AFTER I EVEN WENT OUT OF MY WAY TO TELL YOU NOT TO FORGET!? IF IT WEREN’T FOR THE RULES IN THIS SCHOOL I’D HAVE KICKED THAT SMUG HEAD RIGHT OFF YOUR SHOULDERS!”

"Children! Let's not get at each other's throats!"

"SUZUME!" A familiar voice rang out. "That is not proper hero behavior! And neither is hogging the microphone!"

Suzume audibly gulped, straightening out her posture. She still didn’t seem happy with this situation. Finally, with a scoff, the girl said “Hmph, fine. I guess we’re supposed to work together or something, but let’s get this straight. That doesn’t mean I like you. Got it?”

“Team up!?” He said with disgust in his voice. This was even worse than having to fight her. Still, it didn’t seem like there was any other option. Fiiiine.” Plus, with how his quirk had shaped up, he could actually team up with people now. He turned towards Suzume. “Why are you mad?” He said, crossing his arms. A small grin crossed his face. “As long as you stay out of my way, you’re getting a free pass through this next trial!”

“That should be my line to you.” A few of Suzume’s body parts began to spin sporadically - her equivalent of stretching - as she continued “Just stay back and try to look pretty. I’ll show you what a real hero’s supposed to be capable of.”

Suda’s eye twitched, but he let out a laugh. “That’s a good one.” He said, walking towards the girl. “Hopefully you can do more than lose medals.” He let out a chuckle, turning his attention towards the spinning body parts. “Nice party trick.”

“At least it requires actually doing something, Mr. Gravity Well.” She stretched her arms and legs in a more conventional fashion next. “I’ve got a couple new moves up my sleeve, too. If this were a rematch between us like I’d like it to be, you’d be the one coughing up medals this time.”

Suda let out a laugh. “This would be the easiest task if it were a rematch! Even if I didn’t have a few new tricks up my sleeve, you wouldn’t stand a chance again me.”

ksARFRH.png

A few other short flights had followed her first attempt, after recovering from flying face-first into a wall at high speeds on her first attempt. Before she tried anything fancy like turning or other tricks, Hibiki wanted to get used to the flight itself, so she'd taken shorter trips around the maze room to get a feel for having nothing but her wings and the air beneath her to hold her weight. Now that she was finally confident enough in her flying abilities, it was time to do this for real! As with her other attempts, Hibiki started in a run, eventually shifting into a sequence of short hops, before taking off with a grand leap forward, aided by a mighty beat of her wings. Now that she was in the air again, it was time to turn, and head for that key.

Even having mapped out the entire room by now, her navigation was clumsy. It was less a turn and more suddenly and jarringly switching directions, as she leaned to the side and pushed herself that way with another powerful flap, before straightening herself out. This probably wasn't the most effective or smooth way to turn, but Hibiki could practice that later. Right now, passing her test was the most important thing. She made a beeline for the key dangling from the ceiling, grabbing it then starting downward. This was another part of flight she still had to practice. The landing.

While she didn't faceplant into the floor like some other attempts, it wouldn't be right to say she stuck the landing. Hibiki landed on her feet rather shakily, but the momentum of her flight was still too much for her little body to cancel out on its own, resulting in the bat girl falling over, but catching herself on her hands and knees. The room lit back up suddenly, blinding her for a short moment as her eyes readjusted. The maze walls started going down, and at the back of the room, Hibiki could see a new door. Was that there before?

Most notable was the keyhole on it. This key was probably for that door. Simple enough. Hibiki made her way to the door, unlocked it, and stepped through to find herself in yet another room. And she wasn't alone.

"What the?!" The other's voice rung out. "A lame ass bat chick!?"

"Eh? Lame?" That was just rude! Talk about a lousy first impression. "I am not! Bats are super cool, and I'm not boring either!"

"Heh! Sure coulda fooled me!" The teen stuck out his tongue, brandishing his sharp teeth and long tongue. "My names Rock! Shout it out when you address me, or I ain't gonna bother talkin' to you!"

Hibiki merely nodded in response. "So... are we supposed to work together?"

"Precisely!" Ms. Hitotsume's sang through the speakers. "You'll be working as ragtag partners in the next stage of the test! There you'll be up against a formidable pair!"

"Heh...how am I gonna get anything done with this chick dragging me down?!"

"Hold it! Isn't it a bit early to think I'll drag you down? What's your Quirk do that's so amazing anyway?"

"My quirk!?" He recoiled, only to put his hand out. "Check it!" His nails grew long enough to tap her shoulder, and then shrunk all the way back to him once more. "Pretty sweet, right?! ROCK!"

...that was it? Hibiki did have to admit it'd be nice to be able to grow out or shrink her nails on command, but... "I, uh... don't think you have to worry about me holding you back," she commented, looking to the side to avoid eye contact with this sad display. Maybe it was because she was used to the other quirks in her own class, but something about Rock's felt underwhelming. Well, as long as he could hold his own weight, it wouldn't be a problem. Flashing the boy a thumbs-up, Hibiki said "Just give it your best, Rock!"

After failing to get the cast iron start past the piston the third time, Katsurou was forced to reconsider his approach. Taking a seat in front of the glass, he closed his eyes as he wracked his brain for new approaches. Unlike aluminum, which was light and pliable as water to his Quirk, the cast iron was thick and heavy, moving through the air as if it were moving through honey. His approach of visualising the iron as a liquid did not produce results.

Motioning towards his orb, the aluminum ball rolled out, turning the whole mechanism dark red again. With a few deft motions, the ball shaped itself into various complex shapes. Katsurou hoped that by practicing with aluminum, he would be able to gain some kind of insight on how to accomplish his task. He cycled through the familiar shapes he used to practice: tetrahedron, cube, octahedron, dodecahedron, icosahedron. After a few repetitions, he sighed, placing the orb back on the ground. Perhaps it was hopeless?

In the dim light of the room, Katsurou then noticed that there was a fine powder underneath his orb. According to his uncle, this was aluminum oxide, which formed naturally when pure aluminum was exposed to air. This powder was a familiar sight, as tiny flakes of it would shed from his orb as the aluminum shifted shapes, exposing new parts of it to the air. With not much else to do, he motioned towards it, causing it to lift into the air, forming a simple snowflake shape as if the flakes were pieces of a puzzle.

He always had trouble shaping the powder using his normal visualization as it was brittle, unlike its pure form. However, if he imagined it as many tiny shards of glass, he was able to shape into little patterns. Other than aluminum, it was the only other type of metal he was able to form, and only if he visualized it differently.

“...Could that be it?”

Getting back up, Katsurou motioned his orb back into the hole, illuminating the pistons and the scrap iron star. Narrowing his eyes, he motioned towards the start causing it to slowly float into the air. He compressed and expanded the cast iron, attempting to feel how it reacted. As it shifted, he could feel the resistance of the carbon and the silicon within it, resisting the flow of the iron crystals around it. It did not feel like a liquid, but more like a bunch of jagged shapes, closely linked with each other like bricks in a wall.

With this new idea in mind, he took a deeper stance, cleared his mind, and focused.

Changing perspective was what proved to be the key to success. Getting past the crushing pistons, he placed the star into the star-shaped hole. Katsurou sighed with relief as the next obstacle course lit up, revealing a series of spinning barriers, a square shaped hole at the top and a copper pot at the bottom. Despite being presented with a heavier metal, he smiled, confident in his new approach.

---

With a grunt of effort, Katsurou slowly lifted a gold ring into the tiny ring shaped hole at the top of the final course, collapsing to the ground as soon as the yellow light turned green. As he laid flat on his back, he started laughing to himself. He was exhausted, the obstacle course draining him mentally and physically, but inspiration and improvement were rewards well worth the price. Hearing the hissing of the mechanical door opening, he gave a quick prayer of thanks before pushing himself off the floor.

When he saw that the sound was from a new door, opening up to yet another testing room, Katsurou felt the icy feeling of dread in his stomach.

“...It’s not over?! Oh Lord, deliver me!”

He pulled his orb out of the mechanism, cloaking the room in darkness, save for the beam of light from the open door. Swallowing down the lump in his throat, he then crossed the threshold, squinting as his eyes adjusted to the brightly lit room.

When his eyes adjusted, he saw that there was another student in the otherwise empty room, fidgeting with a purple handkerchief. Katsurou waited a moment, hoping that Ms. Hitotsume’s voice explain the reason why they were in this room together, but no voice came.

“Ah, excuse me. Would you happen to know what we are supposed to be doing in this room?”

“Oh. Uhm.” the boy replied, twiddling his fingers, “I. Uhm. Oh. Uhm. Uhhh…”

Katsurou waited with bated breath, waiting to see if the boy would say something. After a moment of more quiet mumbling, he thought that perhaps he might need to help out.

“Perhaps sensei forgot to tell me there was another test after the first one. Did you finish one as well?” Katsurou asked, with a friendly smile.

The boy nodded his head.

"But...uhm...they didn't say...uhm...that...gosh...that there was another part!"  He stammered out.

"Well, I suppose sensei will be telling us soon enough...Oh, I forgot to introduce myself! My name is Yamauchi Katsurou, Class 1-B. My Quirk is known as Flowing Metal. It is nice to meet you."

"P-p-pleasure."  He bowed quickly.  "I'm P-p-perry.  Perry Winker."  He spread out his quivering hands, and spread his fingers.  "My left hand turns things invisible...my right turns them intangible.  I call it Ambidextrordinairy."

Katsurou chuckled at the name. With how dire some of his classmates were, it was nice to have another student with a sense of humor.

"Such an interesting Quirk! It will be a joy to see it in action. Hopefully in cooperation and not in competition, Lord forbid."

"A little bit of both!"  The voice spoke from the ceiling.  "Get ready you two!  The second part of the test is about to begin!"

"Hmm. Sensei never fails to surprise." Katsurou mused, looking towards the ceiling before turning back towards Perry, "Lord be with you Winker-san. Please do not hold anything back!"

Edited by Otaku-sama
add link